mandag 19. oktober 2009

Lost in translation

I had only expected to slide straight into the culture, the scents, the surroundings, the food, the people, the music. But the first two-three days I was lost (when I think about it now, that was not many days feeling lost, but it felt like it was). The programme was tight already after day 1. Getting a few hours sleep, I had nothing to do but to get up, get dressed and get ready for my first concert experience! I was so lucky to arrive Kathmandu in the middle of the Himalayan blues festival. And being part of a music institution, I had first-hand information on all concerts. Students and teachers at Nepal Music Center among other professional musicians from different parts of the world (including our own Knut Reiersrud!) would perform at Garden of Dreams, a heaven on earth! First thing I heard when I entered the garden was the sound of lapping water. Instant greenery, lotus flowers, fine architecture and pottery surrounded me.

With rather mild air, there were no problems with having an outdoor concert - chairs and mats were spread on a wide lawn, and of course I had to flat out on a mat! As it got darker, candles were lit below the elevated stage, and the sound of a beautiful voice set the mode. Later I found out that this young woman's voice was to become my vocal student! Hurra! I was amazed I could keep my body up standing after my long journey, but I suppose my beautiful start in this garden kept me going.


The next day however, was confusing and strange. It wasn't so much to wake up in a new place - usually when I wake up in a totally different place, I feel all confused. But I instantly knew I was in Kathmandu when I woke up the next morning. No time to think, however, we were right off to an FK-meeting which I hoped would be one way to get to know other like-minded people. And yes, we met, and we introduced ourselves, but my jetleg, my headache, my confusion with new culture, hampered me in reaching out to anyone. And somehow, everybody seemed to be familiar with each other, and rather comfy. I felt like an outlaw, someone not quite fitting in. That was a disappointment. The meeting brought up important issues in itself as we for instance discussed what could be done about climate challenges. But I wasn't quite there. I was more in the mood for "getting-to-know-each-other-games" - so with my mind a few galaxes away from the core of the meeting, I realised I had no way of establishing any new friends right there and then...

So I got home, feeling rather sad. Hello, second day, typical Merethe to be so eager and impatient; but still... my little heart was longing for something safe, something comfortable, someone to talk to and share everything with. So many impressions, and yet so many frustrations. So completely lost in translation!

Ingen kommentarer:

Legg inn en kommentar